Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Single Army Wife

Okay, so my husband is on a deployment. He's only been gone since the end of February, but we (the kids and I) really feel the fact that he's not here with us. Every day at dinner time, the kids can count on a Skype session with Daddy. It's so nice to see his face on a daily basis! For the most part, I've been dealing with things fairly well. You know, the running of the household, taking care of the children 24/7 AND trying to run my own business, which is new... and takes a lot of effort to get started.... Digressing!

Last night, I was hauling up the trash and recycle bins from the bottom of the driveway. The house was quiet and the kids were asleep. I checked the mail and there was a handwritten letter from my husband. Just when I was starting to have a lonely night, I received that lovely letter. It made my heart swell and brought tears to my eyes to read those words. I felt comforted and appreciated.

Non-military people have a tougher time understanding what we spouses go through during deployments. This one is only 6 months long, but during the WWI era and beyond, deployments could last years. Marriages would end over deployments that long!

All things considered, I have it good. My mini house tornadoes are happy, healthy and want for nothing. Once a month, I will drive up to see family in Pennsylvania (a 10 hour drive!) for a week for a really nice change of pace. My house isn't quite as clean as I prefer it at all times, but if it was, I wouldn't have any time for anything else anyway!

This morning I raise my mug of coffee to the deployed troops: may you stay safe and come home to your loved ones swiftly. And to the military spouses of the deployed: may you be just crazy enough to get the job done, but not so crazy that people start questioning your judgement! Thank you all for your service! Opa, Salud, Slainte, Kanpai and all that!



Alright, back to the "grind"... dishes to do and floors to clean. Maybe some laundry in between the constant requests for snacks and something to drink, of course! Oh, and if I'm lucky, maybe I'll get some "work" done, too, but it all has to be done in time for my Word of Warcraft raid with the husband tonight!

Do you think I'll get maybe most of that done? Priorities.... *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment